Fortitude children’s home was borne out of a passion to provide a loving, stable family and home environment for less fortunate children. Our hope is to nurture the innate talents and gifts of each child and give them the best.
Several visits over the years to several orphanages in and around the country, highlight some of the flaws of those homes towards the children in their care. Personal observations are that:
- Some of the kids sometimes have behavioural problems and there’s no specialist or behaviourist, and such a child is treated solely as a stubborn child and made to feel worthless.
- The staff at the home are dispassionate about the children in their care.
- Untrained staff who do not buy into the vision of the home and would deprive the children of donations made to them
- Lack of funding
- Dilapidated facilities and poor living conditions
- Poor medical response times, thereby leading to the spread of diseases or even death
- Non payment of school fees, so children tend to miss a lot of school and invariably suffer academically by trying to play catch-up
- The homes do not handle adoption cases properly and through the proper channels.
- There is no liaison between the school and the home, so progress is not well monitored.
- There is sexual & physical abuse in many homes.
- Children were not properly registered with the Police or Social Welfare Offices, and so could be illegally adopted or sold
What We Are Doing?
As listed above . We are effecting systems to close the gaps in those flaws identified, and establish policies of openness both financially and from care-givers to children. A sense of responsibility from the top-down (vertically) and from child-child (horizontally). Only then can we collectively achieve the goals of the home.
What We Offer as a solution to this need or needs?
- educated and professional staff and care-givers
- extra-curricular activities for the children, such as learning to play musical instruments, football, learning new languages, arts & craft etc.
- Round the clock CCTV surveillance
- comfortable rooms and sanitary, clean environments
- on-site medical centre with 24hours on-duty nurses
- Realistic salary+allowances package for staff; including medical insurance
- well considered, planned and nutritious meals to help stave off diseases and help develop the children mentally and physically.
- Giving the children and care-givers a sense of belonging, so that rather instead of being destructive, they will seek to protect their home from dilapidation . We would also maintain the property at all times, so as to maintain a high standard at the home.
- The Administrator will live on-site & be fully resident, so as to keenly monitor the children and their care-givers
- In order to curb abuse, CCTV monitoring and a separation between the boys and girls dormitories the older the children get. Also, nannies will accompany the children each time they leave the premises. e.g to school, hospital visits, etc.
- Every child, regardless of how FCH comes by them must be duly registered at the Social Welfare Office.